Though the town of Craig would not be incorporated until 1908, it was still the “Hub of Northwest Colorado” in 1904 when the Baker House was completed. On a fact-finding tour of the West, Franklin D. Roosevelt stayed here registered in Room #2 prior to his appointment as assistant to the secretary of the Navy in 1913.
The oak table, seating 10, was appointed with the finest Irish linen, a gift of a friend of the Bakers who had just opened the first of many mercantile stores in Kemerer, Wyoming.
The first store was called the Golden Rule, and the friends name was James Cash Penny. The site of the Baker is occupied today by the Golden Cavvy Restaurant, and the tradition of hospitality continues.